Tuesday, October 28, 2008

So My Blog Needs a Name-Change...

Maybe I should call it the Roadie/Pro-Tri Countdown? I dunno. Basically I have decided I am going to get my pro card next year for triathlon. This summer I had fun road racing and doing criteriums, but I truly had a "Eureka Moment"at Savageman.

Coming into Savageman, I had a high FTP, but I was certainly overweight--not over-normal-person-weight but over-skinny-ass-triathlete-weight for sure. I was probably 185, compared to the 172 which is my tri racing weight. For this reason I thought I might have a really bad ride.

I just did the relay, but I ended up riding pretty well and held off Chris Martin and Todd Wiley until I blew up at mile 45ish. I biked 2:49, but I think with my FTP where it was and if I was truly at race weight that I could have ridden in the low 2:40s. Basically that means I really need to make the jump to the next level.

I'm signed up for California 70.3 and St. Anthony's. I intend to win both. If you are doing the amateur race, GOOD LUCK ;-)

I will continue to do some road racing as well. I think there is quite a bit of value to ride with true "roadies". Those are the local guys with FTPs between 350 and 400. Those are the guys to ride with. I'm looking to just totally ride away from the Cat 4 field at Jefferson Cup. That should be fun.

Am I cocky about where I want to be in the next 5-7 months? I guess. In all honesty, it is more confidence than anything. The last few years I have really done a half assed job of training. 4-6 weeks of consistent training got me in the mix with the top amateurs. I have a feeling that 6+ months of consistent training will get me in the mix with the pros, at least in triathlon.

I intend to take a trip to the wind tunnel this winter. Two hours costs $800. The ROI on that is a no-brainer. Win a few TTs and higher podium finishes in triathlons certainly pays for that in a hurry.

So this serves as my press release ;-) I'm serious about kicking some ass next year.

I will leave you with this video. I held off Bjorn to "The Wall" at Savageman and was the first one over the uber steep part. I have no clue how he made it up the hill with that gearing. He was riding 56/42 up front and had a 23 in the back. My smallest gear was a 39/27! HA. Going up the wall this hard certainly played a role in my implosion later in the day.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey Jerdonek said...

I like the subtleness in your press release. hooray Michael! are you going to announce your comeback on ST? you could link to this blog on the retirement post you wrote last month.

3:39 PM  
Blogger MarkyV said...

it's not about the bike

12:08 AM  
Blogger MarkyV said...

;)

12:08 AM  
Blogger Flanagan said...

I know, I know. That is why I am swimming, running, water running, and losing weight. Sub 1:25 at Ralphs! Sub 1:22 at some point in '09.

I need to save some of the stuff for future blogs during the winter!

11:41 AM  
Blogger TriDave said...

GET R DONE!

This post came as a welcome surprise. I wasn't sure what was in store for Flanagan in 2009. Now I know. The gauntlet has been laid down. I agree with MarkyV, it's not about the swim or bike. The real test comes on the run. Focus on that and you will have success beyond your expectations. Good luck and I look forward to reading more soon.

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home