Friday, August 08, 2008

New Direction ------> Road Cycling

The 2008 triathlon season was quite frustrating. Since starting triathlon in 2004, my weakest sport--by far--has always been running. Every time I have worked to improve my running I have gotten injured. The only way to make more gains was by improving running, and I finally became so fed-up with shin splints, achillies pains, foot pains, ITB pain. I was constantly injured or recovering from an injury. Its virtually impossible to make gains in running fitness while still being injured. In July 2008 I decided to put triathlon in the past. My sole focus is now road cycling. I truly love riding, and I love the highly competitive racing which comes with road cycling.

In the last month I have seen a dramatic improvement in my overall moral. Since I only need to train one sport I do not have to spend countless hours figuring how I'm going to effectively train three sports--possibly swimming, biking, and running all in one day. I spend fewer hours training; however, I feel my fitness (FTP) increasing each week. I have more time and energy to devote to work and to friends. I am so happy with this switch. While I might go back to triathlon some day in order to be able to do Hawaii, I don't have any triathlons on my schedule right now.

My sole athletic focus is training and racing for cycling. I'm not going to go back and hash out my race reports from the last month, but I recently completed all 10 of my "mass start" races, so I am no longer a Cat 5; I am a Cat 4...woot woot! While some people love to stick around the 3s and 4s where they are competitive, I want to race with the best amateurs. I have always loved training and racing with the best, so I really want to move up quickly. When a rocket ship blasts off it counts down: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. I have begun my roadie countdown. Check back in to learn about the rollercoaster ride of training and racing.

Flanagan

2 Comments:

Blogger MarkyV said...

you still gonna swim?

10:49 AM  
Blogger Flanagan said...

Bands after indoor trainer workouts and some light/easy swimming on rest days, so...yes.

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home