Tuesday, October 13, 2009

20K in 25:05

Closed out my season with a low-key 20K TT back in San Diego. I grew up out there, and it was great to see my parents. They haven't been able to see me compete in anything in quite some time, so I think they really had fun watching.

I won the Cat 1/2/3 race going away, which is great. I ended up officially in 25:10; however, my computer said 25:05, so that is what I'm going with. The starter got distracted prior to my countdown, and he sent me off late. It didn't matter though, and I certainly wasn't going to be "that guy" who disputes 5 irrelevant seconds.

I hit the taper perfectly. I felt really fresh; however, I almost ruined the whole thing in the first 5 minutes, when I came out of the gate way too hard. I ride with power, so I knew it was too much, but I really couldn't back off. First 5 minutes were 387 watts, the next 15 were only 350, then the final 5 were 368. Overall was 360 for 25:05. I think one of the best preparation training sessions for going out too hard in the TT was a Tuesday noon ride a few weeks ago with Chuck Hutch, thanks Chuck!

Position is really good right now, CDA is approximately .217, and that is without ever going to the tunnel. Although I do lose 25-30 watts from my road position. I need to work on flexibility, I think. I trained smart this year: 8 hours per week average for the last 6 months. Pete Cannell coached me last year, and I basically followed/executed his training methodology this season on my own, thanks Pete! He really knows his stuff.

If I didn't mess up the pacing, I think I could have gone sub-25, which would have been sweet.

I'm thinking big for next year. Not taking 5 months off the bike like I did from Nov '08 through March '09. I might start with VOS Stage Race out in AZ. Its a time based GC, so that is good for me.

Its getting chilly outside, so its time to bring it back indoors. Lots of emotion rollers training with workouts of 45-75 minutes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey Jerdonek said...

Sweet - congrats on that big effort & the win. can you share your watts/kg?

are you running 5 min/day now? :)

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home